The challenges of reaching top performance are many. A good start is to ask questions, many questions. Nicolas Bloom and others provide a list:
- Clarity and Comparability of Goals: Does anyone complain that the targets are too complex?
- Interconnection of Targets: How are goals cascaded down to individual workers?
- Performance Tracking: What key indicators do you use for performance tracking?
- Performance Dialogue: For a given problem, how do you identify the root cause?
- Continuous Improvement: How do problems typically get exposed and fixed?
- Consequence Management: How do you deal with repeated failures in a specific business segment?
- Removing Poor Performers: How long is underperformance tolerated?
- Unique Employee-Value Proposition: What makes it distinctive to work at your company?
- Instilling a Talent Mind-Set: How do senior managers show that attracting and developing talent is top priority?
- Retaining Talent: What does the company do about a star performer who wants to leave?
View original post 11 more words